Sunday, September 9, 2012

Little Concern Hive #3

Things have been for the most part going well with all my hives this year...
I had to re-queen hive#3 because the queen had such an erratic brood pattern. It could have
caused the hive be become weak and susceptible to attack by other bees and mites.
I went into the hive last Saturday ( 09-01-2012) and located the queen quickly on the brood
frame. She looked pretty active but, I think she is having trouble locating empty cells to lay her
eggs. The reason for that is, I believe the old queen was working so slow that the workers were
filling the cells with sugar syrup before she got to them to lay her eggs/brood.
I have been giving them all bee vitamins added to the syrup to help strengthen the hive and
hopefully build the hive a little quicker in number.
I will check on them (hive#3) in the morning (09-10-2012) to see if the queen is doing better now
that she has been in there for two weeks.
If, she looks like she may need more help. I may take a frame of brood from my stronger hive#2
and place it in hive#3 in an effort to help the new queen hatch out more brood strengthening the hive.
So far this year I have really enjoyed taking care of my hives and can't wait till Spring of the year to
hopefully make some splits and add to my hives.

No comments:

Post a Comment